Through Blackboard, Old Dominion University has the plagiarism detector application SafeAssign. SafeAssign can be a way for you to check how well you are incorporating secondary sources into your text. To use SafeAssign, your instructor must first have it turned on in your Blackboard course area. If your instructor has SafeAssign turned on and allows you to submit drafts in advance, complete the following activity:
1. Submit a completed draft of your essay (including full bibliographic resources at the end). Once you have submitted your essay, you may need to wait a while (a few minutes to a couple of hours) for the program to produce a SafeAssign Originality Report.
2. Once you have access to your report, carefully look at all of the sections that SafeAssign highlighted. Use those highlights as a reminder to verify that you are incorporating other sources correctly (Do you introduce them? properly cite them? connect the source material back to your argument? etc.). Sometimes you may have sections highlighted that are correct; the system is just saying it is material from another source.
3. Write a reflection about your review and revision process, covering the elements listed below.
- date & time uploading the draft
- date & time reviewing the report
- general summary of the types of things that were highlighted in your draft
- brief description of specific elements of your project you will change based on your report results
2. Share-out: Copy/paste your reflection about your review session in the comments thread.