1. Set aside 3 minutes to work on a reading assignment for your class.
2. As you read, any time you are distracted, make a checkmark on a piece of scrap paper and think to yourself, “I will not be distracted by that again.” At the end of the 3 minutes, look at how many times you were distracted while you were reading by counting the number of checkmarks on your paper.
3. When you can read for 3 minutes without being distracted, try testing yourself for 5 minutes.
4. At the end of the reading assignment, make note of the greatest length of time you were able to read without being distracted.
5. Write a short paragraph about the experience and what steps you might take to help you focus better as you read.