Academic reading can require more focus and energy than reading you may do in your free time. To help you focus during your next reading or homework session, be sure to prepare your workspace.
- Select a space with good lighting and ventilation.
- Select an appropriate space with minimal external distractions.
- Be well-rested so that you don’t fall asleep.
- Be sure to process, or temporarily put aside, any internal distractions (e.g., worries or concerns about other aspects of your life or other classes, etc.).
- Warn others, physically and/or digitally, that you are studying, and ask them to not distract you.
1. Take or draw a picture of your prepared workspace. Use any computer drawing program (e.g., Paintshop, MS Paint, Google Draw, etc.) to draw your workspace, or use a pencil and paper to draw it. Then take a picture of the drawign with a camera.
2. Share your image.